Monday, September 21, 2009

First Day Temping in a While

Yes, I'm back in the clerical temping game. It's good, honest work that doesn't make me moulder away in some office forever. I don't really know why it makes so much difference to work three different places in three months (or whatever), since I'm doing the same work, but it does.

I guess it's because I don't get into the office politics, and I get to see the way different businesses work.

Well, yes. That is why. Never mind. I do know.

This week's gig is the Omni Royal Hotel in the FQ. It's one of those places where they do whatever they can to make the guests happy, so -- wow, this keyboard is noisy -- I have to wear my jacket at my desk all day, in case a guest sees me.

The best part of the job is that I get free coffee and lunch! The worst is that I have to pay FQ prices for parking. It's a bummer when you're working by the hour, and the first hour you work just pays for parking your car.

What's that? I could take the bus? Whatever, hippy.

Everyone here has been very nice so far. I only made one mistake, and that's in picking what knitting project to bring. I could have brought this scarf I'm making for a friend, or the booties I'm doing for a store sample. But no, instead I brought this complicated lace pattern I'm working out for a new shawl idea. When I get interrupted mid-row, I can't remember what I was doing when I come back. BLEH

I'm almost done with the back piece of the red sweater. I might get that finished tonight during the House season premiere.

2 Comments:

Blogger BlogStalker said...

first, glad it sounds enjoyable, almost. It is, afterall, still work; right? But OMG, why don't they validate your parking if you work there? That rots. Do their on staff employees have to pay for parking too?

3:58 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

No validating, but I did find out it's only $5 if I park in the right place, which, of course, I didn't today. Tomorrow I'll be better.

Never did get the lace pattern down.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home