Monday, October 08, 2012

Soup!

I couple months ago, a Fresh Market opened up a few blocks from my apartment.  I don't have a car these days, so it's great to have a place to get real food (not what's in a box at Rite-Aid) that's such a quite ride away.

I love soup. All different kinds.  Hearty clam chowder to odon noodle with fish cakes to chili to split pea to bouillabaisse to tomato to butternut squash.  YUMMMM

So when the fresh Market (kinda like a Whole Foods, but not as  big or as expensive) opened (and after I got a paycheck), I've been looking up a good soup recipe, going over to FM to buy the ingredients, and then come home to make soup, which I then eat for the next few days (freezing some for later too, of course) 

It can be damn depressing to make food for just yourself.   I mean, I tried making a little side dish for the cat, but she just sniffed at it, looked at me accusingly, and ran away.  But make a big bowl of soup is a festival of cuisine, a tribute to the philosophy of abundance, and a damn sight more rewarding than ordering a pizza.


Another thing I've realized.  I love -- well, this part I know -- I love chopping things up and adding spices and all that, I but I don't really love cleaning the kitchen.  Moreover, my current kitchen is less than inspiring: no window, little counter space, etc.  So I brought my computer into the kitchen and put on some Hulu and basically had a blast.  And when I was done, I had, I must say, a damn fine bowl of chicken noodle soup:



1 Comments:

Blogger Ruthie Houston-Barrett said...

Love this post! Soup!!

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home