Monday, August 07, 2006

A Professional?!

Wow.

Saturday I went to lunch at Juan's Flying Burrito, which is the only place in New Orleans for good Mexican food. Afterwards, I couldn't help my usual stop-in at the Garden District Needlework Shop, which is the only place in New Orleans for good yarn and needles and stuff. I didn't really need anything, because I had been there the week before to treat myself to yarn and needles for my birthday, but I'm making a small clutch for my niece, and I wanted kitty-cat buttons. I got these little metal ones. So cute!

Anyway, there's a gal in there who's learning to knit on these ginormous needles (size 15, I think), and the poor thing is just all over the place. I'm chatting with Diana, the owner, and we're trying not to say anything about the SIZE OF THOSE NEEDLES, when I finally ask the young lady if she would like some help controlling her tension. She readily gives me the needles, and I show her how to wrap the yarn around your hand to keep the skein from controlling the tension. She picks it right up and thanks me. :-)

So, a couple minutes later, Diana asks me to come to the back of the shop to ask me a question. Get this: she wants me to come in on Saturdays to teach knitting classes! Wheee! The pay's $8/hour, but the important part is that I get 25% off stuff in the store! I doubt I'll ever actually be taking cash, here. wheeee!

So, next Saturday I'll go in to learn the ropes. What a hoot!

(A grammar note: The ?! is called an "interrobang." hee hee)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home