Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I'd talk about the cat, but...

At the yarn store on Saturday, Lee said she never sees a knitter's blog which doesn't have pictures of a cat or two on it.

Is there something to that, I wonder? Do knitters HAVE to have cats? Surely there must be some knitters who don't have cats, but maybe none of them blog.

I love Erte tremendously. The Father of Art Deco does such wonderful things with lines and colors, half-fantasy, half The Cruel Shoes. I have a scarf with his print of a knitter on it, and, you'll notice:



Yup, there's a cat.


Also, I got my cat and a took up knitting within a short time of each other. The worm. The spice. Is there a relationship?

I went to ask Musetta what she thought, and it turns out she did give me an answer in her own way.


It's not just that many knitters may have cats, but that cats become a part of knitting. They love the yarn, they invite knitters to make ridiculous things for them to destroy. They're so warm, and and they're so fun to stroke and cuddle -- yarn and cats both. What are you looking at?

Of course, knitting and cats are both a way to snuggle into one's home, great enhancements to one's domesticity. They are sources of tactile delight as well as demands upon one's care and attention. They can both be incredibly pissy, and they both tend to react poorly to water. Maybe cats were God's first knitting project.

Speaking of, my own blue yarn project is coming along nicely.


I'd really like to get this one to the wearing stage as quickly as possible. The lattice design took a little getting used to, but now that I've mastered the knitting/purling motion while keeping the cable needle in my left hand, it zips along pretty well. I think I've got another three or so inches to the back (I always make the first piece the back piece, for obvious reasons), then I can start the front.

5 Comments:

Blogger Silk said...

ok, I guess a sweater unless this is the blue ribbon tank top you were talking about. I'm assuming you already have plenty of scarves. What else would you be wanting to rush to the wearing stage at this time of year unless it's a sweater, hat or gloves? Do you have cold yet?

8:07 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Excellent, yes, a sweater. A really purdy sweater, if I can get it to look anything like the pattern's picture. You can see it here -- whoops. It's not there anymore. Hmm. Good thing I saved it!

It has this great collar.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Oh, and yes, we have some cold. It's gets downright unpleasant -- cold and wet! -- in Jan & Feb. Right now, it's more brisk than anything.

You got snow yet?

6:29 AM  
Blogger Silk said...

got first snow a couple days ago! my boys had a blast, I got to take adorable pix from a distance, and then run back inside the house. Pix on myspace of course. I like this blog thing, maybe I'll switch if I figure it out. Myspace gets obscene. Always afraid my parents will stumble across something gross on their way to my pictures there. Something that might cause heart failure.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

This blog thing is easy as pie, though you shouldn't give up MySpace. Just go to blogger.com and sign up. It's easier, IMO, than MySpace, actually.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home